The Federal Skilled Trades Program is for people who want to become permanent residents based on being qualified in a skilled trade.

To apply, you must:

  • plan to live outside the province of Quebec (Note: The province of Quebec chooses its own skilled workers. If you plan on living in Quebec, see Quebec-selected skilled workers for more information),
  • meet the required levels in English or French for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing, and listening),
  • have at least two years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the five years before you apply,
  • meet all job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC), and
  • have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a provincial or territorial body.

National Occupation Classification (NOC) requirements

Skilled Trades currently eligible for the FSTP are organized under these major groups of the NOC:

  • Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades,
  • Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades,
  • Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production, and
  • Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators.

These major NOC groups are subdivided into different occupations. We will accept no more than 100 applications for each occupation. See which applications we are accepting.

FSTP applications is based on the 2011 version of the NOC.

Language testing

You must show you meet the minimum requirements in English or French for each of the four language abilities:

  • reading,
  • writing,
  • speaking, and
  • listening.

To do this, you must take an English or French language test from an organization approved by CIC. The results of your test is required as  part of your application.


Some people are inadmissible—they are not allowed to come to Canada. Several things can make you inadmissible, such as being involved in criminal activity, in human rights violations or in organized crime.

You can also be inadmissible for security, health or financial reasons.

N.B. You must discuss these issues with us at the initial consultation, so that we can advise you of the best way forward.