You may have seen the term “NOC”. It is short for the  National Occupational Classification (NOC).

The NOC is a system used by the Government of Canada to classify jobs (occupations). Jobs are grouped based on the type of work a person does and the types of job duties. Many of Canada’s immigration programs use NOC codes to decide if a job, or type of work experience, is valid for that program’s criteria. For instance, if a person wants to apply as a skilled worker they should check the NOC to see which jobs are considered “skilled” (NOC Skill Type O or Skill Level A or B). The job information is broken down into a number of groups.

For immigration purposes, the main groups are:

Skill Type 0 – Management occupations

This skill type category contains management occupations. These occupations are considered to be at the top of the organizational hierarchy of workplaces or businesses. Management is characterized by high levels of responsibility, accountability and subject matter expertise.

Decision-making that affects the organization as a whole, or departments within organizations, is undertaken by management.  Expertise is acquired through either formal education or extensive occupational experience.  For these reasons all management occupations in the NOC 2011 are also included within skill level A.

The first digit of the code for all management occupations is O.

Examples: CEO, Executive Directors, Restaurant and Food Service Managers, Senior Managers, Human Resource Managers, Purchasing Managers, Financial Managers, Insurance Managers, Fire chiefs and Senior Fire Fighting Officers, Corporate Sales Managers, Utilities Managers.

Skill Type A

These occupations require a university degree (bachelor’s, master’s or doctorate).

Examples: Occupations such as : Physicians, Nurses, Pharmacists, Physiotherapists, Dietitians, Dentists, Veterinarians, Engineers, Chemists, Biologist and related scientists, Financial Auditors and Accountants, University Professors,  Elementary and Secondary School Teachers, Database analyst, Data Administrators, Professional occupations in advertising, marketing, librarians, land surveyors, web designers and developers, public relations and business management consulting, musicians and singers.

Skill Type B

These occupations generally require:

  • two to three years of post-secondary education at community college, institute of technology or CÉGEP, or
  • two to five years of apprenticeship training, or
  • three to four years of secondary school and more than two years of on-the-job training, or
  • Occupation-specific training courses or specific work experience.

Examples:  occupations with significant health and safety responsibilities (e.g., fire fighters, police officers and licensed practical nurses) chefs, electricians, plumbers,  Supervisors, Computer network technicians, property administrators, court officers, conference and event planners, athletes and some performers are assigned to skill level B.

N.B. If your job is a C or D, you may not be eligible under the Express Entry System.

Skill Level C — intermediate jobs. These jobs usually need high school and/or job-specific training.

Examples: long-haul truck drivers, butchers, food and beverage servers, retail sales persons, security guards, receptionists, data entry clerk, payroll clerks.

Skill Level D — labour jobs. On-the-job training is usually given.

      Examples: cleaning staff, oil field workers, fruit pickers,

If you want to come to Canada as a skilled immigrant (Express Entry):

  • Your job, and the work you have done in the past, must be skill type 0, or level A or B to use Express Entry. The Express Entry system manages applications for permanent residence if you want be considered:

If your job is skill type C or D you are not eligible under the Express Entry system.

However you may be able to come to Canada you may be able to come to Canada as a provincial nominee, as long as it is not in a program for skilled workers, or get a work permit for up to two years. Many individuals go on to become permanent residents after they have acquired work experience in Canada.

People who come to work on a temporary basis or as students are not permanent residents. However, some go on to immigrate to Canada on a permanent basis, with our help.