Express Entry Questions & Answers

By : | Category : Express Entry, News | Comments Off

29th Dec 2014

Express Entry to Canada

What is Express Entry?

Express entry is a new electronic tool introduced by CIC to manage the  Federal Skilled Worker Programme, the Federal Skilled Trades Programme, the Canadian Experienced  Class and a portion of the Provincial Nominee Programmes.

How does it work?

Once you meet the criteria for at least one of the existing economic programmes you will be placed in a pool of candidates for selection by the Government of Canada, provincial and territorial governments and legitimate employers.

Will there be a cap on the number of applications to accepted?

No.   There will be no limit to the number of applications that CIC will accept under the Express Entry pool.

What will happen to applications submitted for permanent residence prior to January 1, 2015

Applications submitted to CIC before the launch of the Express Entry system will continue to be processed in accordance with the rules in place at the time of the submission of the application.

Do I need a job offer in order to apply?

No.  Once you are eligible under one of the existing economic programmes (FSWP, FSTP, CEC) you will be accepted into the pool.

What if I am eligible for more than one programme?

If you are deemed eligible for more than one programme, the system will highlight that information to CIC and you will receive an invitation to apply (ITA) and CIC will tell you the programme that they have selected you for.

What is the processing time?

Once an invitation to apply has been granted, we will submit your completed application within the stipulated 60 days.  CIC plans to process your application in 6 months or less.

Do I need to get an Education Credential Assessment (ECA)?

If you received your education outside of Canada, you will need to get your credentials assessed by one of the authorized bodies.

This is necessary for persons hoping to qualify under the Federal Skilled Worker Category.  It is optional under the Federal Skilled Trades Programme and the Canadian Experienced Class.  However to increase your ranking in the pool it is highly recommended for all applicants.

Where can I get my credentials assessed?

CIC has approved the following organizations to assess your foreign credentials:

Comparative Education Service: University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies;

International Credential Assessment Service of Canada; and

World Education Services, Canada.

If you are applying as a specialist physician, general practitioner you must have your credentials assessed by the  Medical Council of Canada must do an ECA for your primary medical diploma;

If you are a Pharmacist, your credentials must be assessed by the the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada

How long is an ECA valid for?

An ECA is valid for 5 years.

 I am from an English speaking country. Do I need to do the English Exam?

Yes. All economic immigrants will need to provide the results of their English Language Examination in order to apply.

What are the acceptable Language tests ?

The two acceptable English tests are:

1.    The Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Programme (CELPIP) General Test

2.    The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) General Training Examination.

How long is the language test valid for?

Language test results are valid for 2 years.

How will the Express Entry system benefit employers in Canada?

The new electronic Express Entry will give employers more recruitment options and help them to respond to labour shortages where there are no available Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

Eligible employers will play a significant role in the recruitment of economic immigrates.  This will reduce the recruiting cost that employers face.  Employers will also be assured that they will have easy access to qualified employees.

Employers will have access to the Job Bank so that they can connect with express entry candidates.  The Job Bank will “match” eligible employers with Express Entry candidates who meet their job description when there are no Canadians or permanent residents available to do the job.

In most cases, permanent residence applications will be processed in six months or less of receiving a completed application.

Will there be a fee for LMIA?

There will be no LMIA fee for permanent residence applications.

Who can represent you under the Express Entry?

Deidre S. Powell is an authorized immigration representative and can represent you with your application.

Only some people can charge a fee or receive any other type of payment to represent an immigrant or advise on a Canadian immigration proceeding or application. These are lawyers and paralegals, notaries and immigration consultants  who are members in good standing of a Canadian provincial or territorial law society; the Chambre des notaires du Québec; or the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council.

These are the only authorized representatives.

N.B. Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will not deal with representatives who are not members of one of the above groups and who charge for their services.

Find out if you qualify under the Express Entry by completing our online client information form.

Comments are closed.